The Perspective

What is Competitive Gaming and why is it growing?

Austin Bautista, Staff Writer

Competitions aren’t anything new to the world. They have been around since early civilization. Competitions might have been around for a long time but what is competitive gaming? Competitive gaming is where people go to tournaments and play video games to see who is the best. They play competitive games such first-person shooters (FPS), real-time strategy (RTS), fighters and muliplayer online battle arena (MOBA). This is like any other sport out there. People train and practice for these video games like any other athlete does. They even have big major tournaments that have people coming around the world just to go to, for example EVO and MLG, just like the Olympics.

Though there is a stigma with competitive gaming that has held by gamers ever since video games have been a big thing. This stigma is that what’s the use of video games and that they don’t contribute a lot, or even are negative, to society. Things like the news saying video games have been “linked” to violent and heinous acts or that video games are a waste of time. Jimmy Kimmel for example said that watching people play video games is a double waste of time. So why then does the competitive scene for video games keep growing?

The reason that competitive gaming might be growing is how it is more welcoming than sports. In most sports, people have to be on tip top condition to be considered in a sport but gaming is different. People could be in any shape, size and age to go to tournaments. They may not get far but there are many welcoming people in competitive gaming that they could learn from them.

Another thing that competitive gaming has over sports is that people hardly get hurt. This has to do most with play fighting games like Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat but it somewhat applies to the other types of games as well. Fighter games is a good example for a comparison because it is directly linked with fighting sports. It is one on one fighter in a closed ring. In sports there are referees and many rules that are hard to uphold for the people participating in the sports sometimes. In fighting games, it is as simple as have the over person’s health bar go down before they they do that to me. Also at the end of the round there is a clear winner. In fighting sports, sometimes the participants themselves don’t know who won till it’s announce.

It could be a fluke but maybe with everything going into an electronic age so too will sports and other competitions. More and more people are already moving towards gamers in where there are a lot of money and sponsorships are coming to those who are the best at what they.

So will this last? That is a hard question to answer. But will people still play video games to this level? All that need to be seen is how many people go and watch people play video games.

• What is Competitive Gaming and why is it growing?

Game Corner

Pokémon Shiny Hunting

2016-2017 Archive

The Last Guardian

Game Corner

The Elder Scrolls Skyrim: Special Edition

Game Corner

The Super Smash Bros. Series: Melee

Game Corner

Dark Souls 3

Game Corner

Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii-U)

Game Corner

Small Snip-it: Competitive Smash Bros.

Game Corner

Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest (Nintendo 3DS)

Game Corner

Small Snip-it: Let’s Plays

Game Corner

Small Snip-it: Generation Bias

The news site of Del Mar High School