The news site of Del Mar High School

The Perspective

King Arthur

James Alan McGettigan, Staff Writter/Film Editor

I’ve seen films and heard numerous versions of this story throughout my life, but never quite like the way this film depicts it. In this film, its a bit odd, because its almost as if Excalibur makes Arthur Pendragon supernatural. It makes him extremely fast, as if all time slows down, immensely. Which I thought was a little out of context when you refer back to the actual legend. I mean, yes, Excalibur is supposedly a magical weapon formed by the wizard named Merlin and can only be wielded by a descendent of Uther Pendragon, but I just think that the way the film makers emphasized the swords power and what it allowed Arthur to do is just hollywood’s input on the story. Since anything that they produce has to always have CGI and testosterone to some extent. Another thing that seemed interesting, but a little underdeveloped was how there were Vikings in this film. Which doesn’t really make much sense in terms of the history of King Arthurs story and the story of the Vikings. Because King Arthurs time was primarily in the late with century to the early sixth century. And apparently the Vikings didn’t make it to Britain until around 793. And the Vikings aren’t even all that big of a part of the film, they’re just there, in Camelot. So, I think that if Hollywood’s film crew were going to get the timelines criss crossed and add in a few historical characters together that never really met in real life, they could have developed a more influential role in the film. But that’s just me.

The way that Jude Law builds up his character, King Vortigern, seems like he did a good job. But some of the things that his character does in the film seems, not so much off track with the story but like he’s a little too weird. Which was good, but there were just some points during his screen time where I was sitting there and I asked myself, “what am I watching here?” But overall Mr.Law did a good job, playing Vortigern, who apparently was also a real person who existed about a hundred years before the time of King Arthur. So, no, they’re not related, at least in the way that Hollywood portrays it.

As for Charlie Hunnam, I think he developed the character of King Arthur well. At least for this portrayal of the story. He has sort of like this hero’s struggle, learning who he is as not just Arthur, but The King Arthur Pendragon. And again, he doesn’t act like the way you would normally think of king Arthur, non of the actors act like you would think of them when you refer to the legend. And that’s probably because the personality of these characters are sort of modernized, like the way they talk and such. But still, everyone in this film did a good job with the film, but in terms of the Legend… it just seems too out of context for me. All in all I’d give this film a four out of five. Because I found it quite entertaining, but it just didn’t seem like I was watching a realistic depiction of what the story of King Arthur was really like.

But while we’re on the topic of King Arthur today, apparently the sword Excalibur does exist to this day and it remains in a stone. It is located in a church in Italy, and here is a video in the link below of the sword, if you’d like to see it for yourself.

• Features

Dodge ball Status

• King Arthur

Features

AP tests are over… Where’s graduation?

• Features

Call of Duty Black Ops 3 Zombies Chronicles

• King Arthur

Features

Sneaker Con Bay Area 2017

• King Arthur

Features

Bay area homeowners/homeseekers leaving…

• King Arthur

Features

Steve brightens our night sky

• Features

North Korea has ambitious military plans

• King Arthur

Features

Facebook murder video…

• King Arthur

Features

Ghost In The Shell

• King Arthur

Features

LIFE

The news site of Del Mar High School
King Arthur