The news site of Del Mar High School

The Perspective

The Last Guardian

Cover art for The Last Guardian

Cover art for The Last Guardian

Cover art for The Last Guardian

Alexis Garza, Staff Writer

The Last Guardian is a beautifully crafted game, close enough for one to say a masterpiece. It has definitely kept Team Ico’s, the developer of the game, reputation for priceless games true, but it is too late to meet the expectations set?

The Last Guardian is entirely independent from, but still has loose connections to, Shadow Of The Colossus and Ico. The story follows a small village where people mysteriously start going missing in the nighttime. The protagonist, a young boy, is then sent to investigate the matter by going into some ancient ruins and finding a solution to the problem. Along his travels he meets a griffin-like creature named Trico and over the course of the game they create an ever lasting bond that resembles a story about a boy and his dog. They help each other survive, solve puzzles, and unveil the truth behind what’s really going on.

After being initially being teased at 2009’s E3, The Last Guardian went into development hell after “A small bug fix delay” turned into a whole change in platforms and development. After realizing that the game didn’t meet their vision, they almost completely restarted the project. At that point hardware limitations on the PlayStation 2 caused the development to slow down until the PlayStation 3 was released, which still didn’t meet their needs for hardware. It wasn’t until the PlayStation 4 was released that the team at Ico would see the opportunity to release the game. This led to the game to see a release in late 2016.

One of the interesting things about the game, that also adds to a bit of the charm, is how your pet griffon doesn’t actually listen to you in the beginning. The reason behind this being implemented into the game was because they wanted it to seem like you were actually building a relationship with the creature as the story progressed. As you continue the story, however, Trico starts to obey your commands, building a human-companion relationship.

Some of the main problems with the game, other than the extremely delayed release, are the camera angles and the clunky controls. It seems like an older platformer that was released back when it was teased, but that could trigger some childhood memories of when that was the norm. The last really glaring issue is rapid frame drops. These don’t often happen, but it doesn’t mean that it isn’t a problem as they can eventually cause frustration amongst players.

Overall, as The Last Guardian does have it’s strong points and it’s faults, it is up to the individual to judge whether it is worth getting. It is very linear and has no end game content, but it will probably lead to some nostalgic moments as it is a game of the past.

• The Last Guardian

2016-2017 Archive

Song of the Week “Poe Man Dreams (His Vice)” -Kendrick Lamar

• The Last Guardian

2016-2017 Archive

Song of the Week “Corona” by the Minutemen

• The Last Guardian

2016-2017 Archive

New York Greenlights Planned Wind Farm

• The Last Guardian

2016-2017 Archive

Model UN

• The Last Guardian

2016-2017 Archive

Are you ready for the Thanksgiving break?

• The Last Guardian

Features

Sneaker Con Bay Area 2017

• Yay Food!!

Guacamole!

• The Last Guardian

Features

Bay area homeowners/homeseekers leaving…

• The Last Guardian

Sports

Isaiah Thomas and Celtics Climb Back From 0-2 Series Start

• The Last Guardian

Features

Steve brightens our night sky

The news site of Del Mar High School
The Last Guardian